Here’s a basic look at what has brought to this point, through the highs and lows, great memories and stupid mistakes.
• Nearly 800 published clips for daily and weekly publications
• Covered the 2006 Short Track Speed Skating World Championships, Division I hockey at Northern Michigan University and Division II athletics at Northern Michigan University and Hillsdale College
• Three-plus years of editing experience
• 2007 Michigan Association of Broadcasters (MAB) first-place winner for a public service announcement on drunk driving
• Gerald Waite Community Journalism Scholarship Winner
• Heavy involvement with Appalachia Service Project (ASP), Big Brothers Big Sisters, Meals on Wheels and other community service projects
• Extensive knowledge of online and multimedia Web site specs
Hillsdale Daily News, Hillsdale, MI
Sports Editor, September 2007-present
As an editor I am in charge of the planning and execution of an entire section of the paper, managing a team of writers and forming and maintaining relationships with people in the community. I lay out pages, take pictures, and write features, columns, game recaps, analysis pieces and hard news stories. I am also one of two Web Masters at the Daily News, in charge of uploading stories and accompanying art to http://www.hillsdale.net on a regular basis. I meet daily deadlines and use a comprehensive understanding of print and multimedia specs, as well as my knowledge of AP Style to guide my work.
North Wind, Marquette, MI
Sports Editor, January 2006 to May 2007
Ast. Sports Editor and Staff Writer, 2003-2006
I did beat writing for basketball and football, while also composing features and weekly columns. There was intense use of Quark Xpress for layout purposes. I also managed a staff of 7-10 writers and regularly attended press conferences, meetings and luncheons. Furthermore, I uploaded all of the content to http://www.thenorthwindonline.com for digital use. I also wrote features on musical performers, university trends, meetings and events, as well as analysis pieces for other sections.
Mining Journal, Marquette, MI
Sports Writer, September, 2006 to May 2007
I covered high school, junior, and collegiate athletics for the Upper Peninsula’s largest circulating paper. I gained experience writing front-page sports stories on tight-deadlines.
• Proficient with Quark Xpress, all Microsoft Office programs, Photoshop, InDesign and most PC and MAC multimedia applications. Proficient with other Adobe programs such as Illustrator and video editing software like Final Cut Pro.
• Strong interviewing and interpersonal skills. One of my professors in college was a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter for the Denver Post and another worked at Men’s Health magazine for a duration.
• Well versed in helping inform and educate communities by giving them accurate, worthwhile information in a timely manner.
If you want more, check out “My extremely brief, vague memoir as a writer”